Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 in Review!

Well, as it was for most others, 2020 for the Wolfe family was a year like no other.  I was half-tempted to summarize by saying ‘We stayed home.  The end.’, but some stuff did happen!  Without further delay, here’s what I remember…

The year started off innocently enough… we saw friends, kept up with swimming lessons, and I travelled a lot for work (little did I know I’d be racking up those frequent flier miles for nothing!)  We even snuck in a trip to Kalahari in February (which is hard to imagine now… I think that would be the definition of a ‘super spreader’ event!)

We were finalizing plans for Spring Break when March hit.  



My last day in the office was March 13, and I haven’t been back for a full day since.  Scott had some time off in the spring, spent some time alternating between working from home and going in, and now goes in most days.  As for the boys… as with most kids, the spring was pretty unstructured.   The boys began by going across the street for ‘La Casa de Escuela de Dieterle’ (aka home school at the Dieterles’).  


All was going great until Adam got sick, and had to stay home.  Given he didn’t have all the symptoms of Covid, he couldn’t get tested – he tested negative for the flu, so we’re still not sure what exactly he had.

So we and the Dieterles formed a germ pod, and we didn’t see anyone else for about 2 months.  Highlights of March – May included home haircuts, washing off groceries, house projects, and Zoom calls.


Summer came, and we were finally able to spend some good time outside!  Our neighbor Karissa came over some days to help with the boys, and worked with them on a blog to document their unusual summer (https://noahandadamssummer2020.weebly.com/). 

A big positive for this summer is we got kayaks, and were able to spend a LOT of time using them!

One of those trips though ended up in a near death experience for me… I’ve told this story many, many times, but here it is for posterity!  When we were Up North over 4th of July weekend, one morning, Scott and I took our kayaks out, and Scott’s parents took the boys out on their brand-new pontoon boat (an important detail for later in the story!)  We got back to their cottage around the same time… Hank parked the pontoon, I brought my kayak close to shore, and Scott did another spin around the bay.  I called over Noah to help me carry my kayak in, and he came to meet me in the shallow water.  He said ‘do you hear that noise?  It sounds like a tree falling’.  It did sound strange, but when I looked around, everything was still, not even a breeze.  For some reason I don’t remember, Noah headed up towards the cottage, and I waited at shore for him to come back.  All of a sudden, this 75+ foot tree right at the shore broke about 20 feet up, and started falling right towards me.  I ran in the water towards the pontoon boat… just as I got there, one of the branches hit me on the head, and knocked me underwater.  I was able to pop up, I was just trapped in the branches.  About a foot away from me, the trunk of the tree fell directly on the pontoon boat, and took the majority of the impact.  No one else was hit – we were all very, very lucky!  Scott even found the sunglasses I was wearing when I was knocked underwater 2 days later.  We are all grateful no one was hurt (and for insurance!)


We were a little shaken up, but made the most of the weekend… miraculously, the motor on the boat even still worked!  Then I came home, and told that story approximately 57 times.

The rest of the summer was pretty calm… we made another trip Up North in August, as well as to South Haven right before school started.


The other excitement of the summer was getting a new puppy!  We figured as long as we were going to be home all day, there was no time like the present.  We found an aussiedoodle puppy in Kentucky, and drove there right after our South Haven trip.  His name is Charlie, and he’s a good boy!  He established himself as the alpha dog with Benny on about Day 2 of being home.  They have their moments, but they mostly get along.

September rolled around, and the boys started school virtually.  We have never had a rainy day for a first day of school picture, but of course, this year we did!

 

The boys eventually got to go back in school in mid-October (Adam for 4 days a week, Noah for 2), but that ended right before Thanksgiving.  The plan is to go back in-person on January 11… we’re keeping our fingers crossed!

We had a quiet Thanksgiving and Christmas, and are planning the same for New Year’s… hopefully next year’s updates include a return to some sort of normal, but we’re grateful we made it through this doozy of a year!

Finally, here are the videos from this year...

Bak version:  https://animoto.com/play/go13HG1atJCmybM9nw1PJw

Wolfe version:  https://animoto.com/play/PUPufZLzLwVkmdZaoEwCYA

Here's to 2021!



No comments: